Tuesday, January 19, 2010

We All Fall Down

The first few weeks of the New Year of self discovery have been...um, jacked up. Well, mostly health wise, and mostly in really freaky ways that I wouldn't expect. Making things chaotic and more freaktastic than normal.

First, was the one where Max my boy pug ate so much kitty roca that he ended up with impacted bowels and couldn't poop. So I took him to the vet and spent $200 only to have him crap all over the floor before I even got to pay the bill.

Then there was the one where we all saw a naturopath who gave us remedies. I was optimistic that this would improve our health, but instead got an ear that hurt like hell and bled. I stopped taking the little pellets and my ear feels better. It is probably a coincidence, but I am not taking any chances after what happened last night.

At 10:30 Mr. Tantrum came to tell me that he was taking his dad to the Emergency Room. I promptly went from almost asleep to panic mode. I also then didn't sleep a wink all night.

It appears now that my Father in Law was experiencing numbness in his right side, and had been advised to go to the ER to get checked out. That advice was good because it appears that he had a mild stroke. He spent the night in the hospital and most of the day there having every test run and being monitored. Neither of these things are calming for him. He is exactly like me, Type A over achiever that cannot sit still if we are sedated and tied to a chair.

We have run the gamut of emotions today from sheer terror to laughter about what he now can have. (Someone suggested shots of Olive Oil, someone else a diet of entirely celery and Hawthorne berry.) About all I finally feel is relief that he is going to be okay, and that there is no long term damage from the incident.

I am thankful that when he actually had the stroke he was with someone that actually got him to sit down and take an aspirin. (He thought he was having a mild heart attack or something....which either way the aspirin more than likely broke up the clot.)

I am thankful that we all will continue to be together (all 19,000 of us, cats, dogs, sheep and koalas) for a lot longer. I am worried about my parents too, because they aren't old enough for this stuff, and heck my father in law is a really healthy guy. But the stress of the last year probably didn't help with this either.....stress increases Blood Pressure and other things. So we are going to cook better, lower fat fresher foods that still taste good, and we are all taking up jogging at the command of Bacon...although somehow I think that when we are done with the jog we aren't going to be getting any bacon for breakfast anymore.

4 comments:

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh how scary. I worry about strokes, with my hypertension and all. But my doctor said that if hypertension is well-managed (meaning if you're taking medication that brings it back to NORMAL) then you're not at a higher risk than the general population.

What a relief. Your FIL will get some medication that makes his BP normal, and then we can breathe a sigh of relief. And enjoy the healthy food and jogging!

(My word verification is 'crave' - not a good sign regarding the breakfast bacon.)

Crazy Sister said...

Koalas? Really?

Sorry about the craptastic health things. And sorry about the dog. You know, whenever I hear the word "dog" I think happy thoughts, like tail wagging and soft fur.

Not "Old pug with impacted bowels". Wow.

Matt - mmWine said...

While there should always be bacon with Breakfast, I'm with you re some crazy stuff in the family. It's been a long wild ride, and we've had health issues and scares with everyone that I can think of!

However, I'm doing my part, getting my fat butt back on the treadmill! Today was day 3 in a row. I didn't have bacon with breakfast .. but maybe tomorrow I will! I SURE WILL HAVE WINE WITH DINNER!

VirtuRoss said...

Hello Mrs. Tantrum. I came across your blog when I Googled MyButt@the Crack.com, because it has a nice ring to it, right? The post I was lead to was the "Crack Within The Butt-Crack" post and I immediately thought to myself, 'This woman has been one of the voices in my head since like sixth grade. Of course the other assholes at the conference table almost always drown her out with all of their Bitching and Whining, (yeah it's chaos) but she is there, quietly mocking the rest of them for taking everything too seriously. Once or twice she’s gotten out of hand, she flicked a booger at Perfectionism…bold move."

I am having a great time reading your blog. You know, there are the every-day crazy people, you know the type you do not want to be alone with in an elevator. Then there's crazy like me, or "crazy good". The kind that are hoping the other person in the elevator has already convinced themselves I am Nucking Futz, it makes the whole experience so much more entertaining for me.

I truly hope that all is well with you an yours. As I said I have only just discovered your marvelous blog, but also noticed your latest post was in January. I hope you come back, I'm just sayin.