Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mileage

In the 10 years since I moved to Washington state, there have been a handful of times that I have been utterly devastated that I was not in Oregon closer to my family and friends. Today I just added one of those times. 

Today I got a call from my best friend of 20 years that Situ (Lebanese for grandma) died this morning. 

We knew that Situ would be dying soon. She was diagnosed with stage three ovarian cancer earlier this year. Being that Situ was well in her late 80's she decided to forgo treatment and live out the rest of her time (which the doctors said would be weeks, she proved them wrong) at home with her family. Still to get the call was upsetting.

I am torn because I desperately want to be there for my friend right now, but I can't. I have no one to leave Bacon with, and she is getting ready to fly to L.A. for a funeral. I want to be there to help her with the kids, and stock up some dinners in the freezer, I want to be there so that she can spend some time with her dad who is overwhelmed with grief right now. (A man who is never emotional, who I have rarely seen emotional in 20 years.) 

Instead I am left here to pray. Pray that they find comfort in knowing that Situ is no longer in pain, and that she is with her husband at last. I pray that they find comfort in all of the great memories they have of the time they had with her. I pray that the love that they shared for her pulls them through this. I know that in time it will. 

I also pray that all of you make sure that the women in your lives get checked regularly for all of the hoo ha cancer's. THEY CAN BE VERY SNEAKY! They are dangerous, but if detected early they can be treated. Luckily Situ - as she said - was an old lady by the time it got to her, BUT that doesn't mean that ANY of us women should ignore our lady parts. (Unless of course someone is mailing you pictures of theirs.) Take care of yourselves, and the ones that you love. Enjoy every moment you have because life is precious and wonderful, no matter how crabby and overwhelming it can sometimes seem. 

4 comments:

Feener said...

Sending prayers your way. Did you know that September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month ? Just today I tied TEAL ribbons all over my town and on Sept 27th I am participating in a walk a thon to raise money and awareness....check out the site KOHNJ.org

mamikaze said...

Peace be with your friend and you. My condolences and hugs.

Ann(ie) said...

I'm so sorry, love. It's so difficult losing people we love no matter what their age is when they go. xo.

Crazy Sister said...

We're never ready for someone to die, are we? That's rough - I'm sorry.

I love the advice that we should always pay attention to hoo has, unless someone is posting you a picture of one...