Sunday, July 13, 2008

Then I Tried To Lick Him

I went to the allergist on Friday. I was so excited to finally be there because after a week without antihistamines I sort of was starting to sound like Snuffy from Sesame Street, and I was looking really puffy and bad. Other than the receptionist freaking out because I was there 15 minutes early (oh, the horror!) everyone was so nice that I may just move in there next time things here get iffy.

Dr. Magic was nice. He was not into screwing around about anything, and explained everything. He offered not to do the allergy testing, which I probably could have gotten away with, but I was there, just get it over with already. They did the tests, I was - no surprise - allergic to everything, and had such a quick reaction that all the nurses came in to look at my lovely arms. We are going to start it as a new winter fashion. It is dead sexy. 

I also had a CT scan, which revealed that all of this stuffy runny alternating hell is a RAGING sinus infection. He gave me a pretty hard core antibiotic to take for 21 days to clear it up. Yeah, that is a long time, but if it kills it I am all for it. I am done screwing around with this stuff anymore. Seriously, 14 years is ENOUGH. I go back in a month to start immunotherapy, and have another CT to make sure that the infection is cleared up. 

The immunotherapy (or allergy shots) will take about 6 months before I start to notice relief. It will be perfect timing however, because that will be about the time that allergy season starts to get bad here. I will have to more than likely continue with the shots for at least 3 years, but then should be in the clear for a long time. I don't care at this point if it means that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and someday I won't be taking Bendaryl like candy to try to keep my sneezing under control. 

Dr. Magic was nice and sweet, and hugged me before I left. I thanked him for everything, and told him how thankful I was that he was serious about getting this all under control. I don't know if I was delirious from all of the allergens in my body, or if I fell in love with him right there, but I think that after that, before he left to see his next patient, that I might have tried to lick him. 

1 comment:

buffi said...

I would have LOVED to have seen his face if you had! I hope that now you can start to feel better. What the hell antibiotics did he give you anyway that make you feel so loopy? And can I have some? ;)